Monday 16 September 2013

Collecting records and collecting thoughts

My wife surprised me this Christmas.  Before I opened my big set of presents, she told me she had taken a gamble and gotten me something I had never asked for.  When I opened the presents I found a turntable, speakers, and at least five or six records (maybe more, she's always spoiling me).

I was speechless.  It's scary and wonderful how well she knows me, probably better than I know myself.  For as long as I can remember, I have loved listening to music.  Some good, some terrible, but all a part of my life, a soundtrack of sorts where putting on a specific song can take me back to a specific time or place or experience.  And I had gotten away from that but she brought me right back there.  Vinyl captures all of that on a whole other level.  It is so tangible - the smell, the feel, and of course the liner notes - and such a great opportunity to explore the classics I never had a chance to really listen to, as well as the classics (and not-so-classics) that I grew up with and are so entwined in my memories.

Since getting the record player, I've been lucky enough to add to my collection here and there.  That's a journey in itself, exploring record shops and seeing what's in stock at any given time.  Always a lot I've never heard of, but often just behind that is something I didn't know I couldn't do without until just then.  So of course I have to grab it!  And if someone else gets to that record first (which happened with Paul's Boutique), is there any shame in watching him like a hawk to see if he puts it back down (which he actually did after a few agonizing minutes)?  Maybe there is, since I feel I've said too much, but to me that hit or miss nature of a record store makes it even more satisfying when I find something great.

Anyway, while listening to a few great records tonight (Let it Be then Nevermind), I had the urge to write something, to put some thoughts down about great music and the thoughts it inspires.  It seems to be a natural fit, and I'm very interested to see where this goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment